Thursday, September 8, 2016

My First Job after NYSC [Episode 1]

READER DISCRETION IS ADVISED. STRICTLY FOR 18+



Passing out parade has come and gone, I will definitely miss my friends, my PPA, my environment in Ota, a lot of thoughts were running through my mind as I was packing and arranging my loads. I begin to ask myself, “after service year then what next?”. I had tried to apply for jobs during my service year but I couldn’t get a befitting job.

My friends that were born with a silver spoon had jobs waiting for them at home, “Which kind wahala be this?”, I picked my bag, board a bus to akure. On getting home, my family and neighbours welcomed me, it was as if a white man came on a visit. People are asking me questions, some were greeting, some were asking for what I brought. As days rolled by, I begin to search for what to do, I moved round the town to see if I could get a job somewhere.

One day while I was passing by on the 3rd street, I saw a woman coming out of a mighty duplex, the house was painted white,. She was pasting a notice on her gate as I was passing by. I moved closer to see the what she was pasting, and on it I saw “A PRIVATE TEACHER wanted URGENTLY”. Chaiii, I ignored at first and moved on. After walking about 8 steps, I stopped and think. ***** why I go refuse this job na?, dem be rich people ooo, so dem fit pay.*****, I stopped thinking, I went back the house, I knocked on the gate and the gateman ushered me in. The gateman took me to the door entrance, called out the woman and left

ME: good afternoon ma
MADAM: good afternoon young man, how can I help you?
ME: I saw you pasting a notice the other time and I decided to apply.
MADAM: you mean the private tutor job?
ME: Yes MADAM: hope u passed your WAEC? And how was the result?.
ME: *****smiled*****, yes man I do.
MADAM: but I will prefer a graduate because my first daughter wants to write jamb and post jamb, so a graduate will do better,
ME: *****i looked at myself and thought, “chaiiii, small stature na bad thing oooo, shey I no look like graduate ni?” ***** smiled, I’m a graduate ma.
MADAM: really? oooohh, pls I am so sorry for the embarrassment, so sorry please, u look very young, please come in please. ****she ushered me into the living room****

The interior of the room is a nice one, a colourful design and furnitures. I sat on the chair and she sat down opposite to me.

MADAM: I’m sorry for the other time
ME: it’s not a problem ma
MaDAM: which state are you from?
ME: edo
MADAM: how old are you.
ME: ****felt embarrassed*** 23
MADAM: 23? Then what age did you graduate?
ME: 21 Ma
MADAM: ***smiled*** u must be a genius, I like that. So let’s get to business. My first daughter Janet is 19, she failed her last JAMB attempt, so she is writing another one, so u will teach her physics, chemistry and math, less I forget. What’s your course?

ME: chemistry Ma
MADAM: then you should be able to do well then,
ME: ok ma, ***i looked at the photo on the wall directly in front of me, its of a very pretty young lady, she is fair and has a big burst. This must be Janet, “chaiiiii, omo see bobby****

MADAM: I also have a son, 12 in jss3, u will be teaching him mathematics.
Me: ok ma.
MADAM: ****called someone by the name**** “Mabel”. Mabel!!! , bring a bottle of coke for me with a glass cup A young girl appeared from the kitchen,

her dressing shows that she must be the house maid. She is fair too but not up to Janet, she must be in her early 20′s I guess, she has this local inbuilt beauty, a nice dimple and an average sized bosoms. She served the coke and turned back. Chaiiiiiiii, omo see a$$$$$$. It’s that type of Mercy Johnson’s. I sipped the coke and continue the discussion.

MADAM: that is my house maid, no tempt her with your fine boy look oooooo,
ME: ok ma.
Madam: just kidding. So how much are you charging me?
ME: *****thought for a while, viewed the look of the house, the cars I saw outside***** 30k ma. MADAM: heeeeeeeee, when I’m not employing you to train her for cambridge. I will pay you 20k per month for the 2 children.

ME: ok ma
MADAM: let me give you a little rule. Don’t go beyond academics with my daughter, I think you understand what I meant?. If you do, I will send hired killer to kill you

ME: ok ma, ****so this woman is only concerned about her daughter’s yansh, what about Mabel?****. Sorry ma, can I ask a question?

Madam: go ahead.
ME: please are the children around?!
.
I want to introduce myself to them ****for my mind, I wan see how Janet looks like in reality****.

MADAM: Janet went to a friend’s birthday party; Eric my son is sleeping inside. Maybe when you resume lesson, you will know them

ME: thanks ma. One more thing please, I wish to meet daddy too.
MADAM: ***laughs*** daddy is not in Nigeria.
Me: ok ma, let me take my leave, I will resume on Monday.

 I exchanged number with madam, stood up and about to leave when Mabel came out to pick the bottle. She looked into my eyes and released a cute smile, her dimple made a hole. I smiled back at her too. I dashed out of the compound. As I stood infront of the gate, a cab dropped a young girl infront the house. I recognised the face as the same thing I saw on the picture, this must be Janet.

 I said to her “HI”. She just ignored, passed by and knock on the gate which the gateman later opened. I said to myself. Chaiiiii, why this girl come rude and dey arrogant like this na? 



No comments:

Post a Comment